Take the Quiz!
How much do you really know about racism and "race" related issues? Click here to find out.
Articles I Read . . .
- Firefox Focus for Android, Torvalds reflects on Linux, and more newsJune 24, 2017In this edition of our open source news roundup, we take a look at open source seeds, the release […]
- ‘Too Fat, Too Slutty’ Challenges Cultural Expectations Of WomenJune 24, 2017Anne Helen Petersen’s new book is a thoughtful consideration of several public women — from […]
- ‘The End of Eddy’ Recounts Growing Up Amid Homophobia And ViolenceJune 24, 2017In The End of Eddy, French author Edouard Louis writes about his experience growing up gay and […]
- ‘The Force’ Is Basically ‘Game Of Thrones’ With Cops — And That’s Pretty GreatJune 24, 2017Don Winslow’s new novel is packed with crooked cops and crookeder crooks, all defending their […]
- Excerpt: “Defining Moments in Black History: Reading Between the Lies” by Dick GregoryJune 24, 2017The comedian-activist’s new book on little-known aspects of African American history recounts […]
- TV news fact-checked: health care & more + this press briefing will not be televisedJune 24, 2017by Katie Dahl and Nancy Watzman This week the Senate released its version of health care, so to […]
- Top 5: Getting started with Python, Ansible to manage PostgreSQL, and moreJune 24, 2017In this week’s Top 5, we highlight machine learning, games, DevOps, and more! Top 5 articles […]
Rants and Raves . . .
Select a Blog Category
What or Who is debwire?
It is a play on my first name and "newswire." The definition of newswire is (in old school terms):
a service transmitted especially by teletypewriter and providing late-breaking news stories, stock-market results, or other up-to-the-minute information:
We took the story off the newswires.
a teletypewriter or other machine by which such information is transmitted or received.
So, in a nutshell, this site is my own personal newswire. And who am I? Well, I am an aspiring author, a tech geek, news junkie, old school head, lover of jazz, straight talker. I love Merlot and cherries. That sort of sounds like an intro for an online dating site, doesn't it? I offer a better explanation here.