Take the Quiz!
How much do you really know about racism and "race" related issues? Click here to find out.
The Latest (Mostly Articles I Read). . .
- 2nd annual Women’s Marches held across U.S.January 20, 2018On the anniversary of Trump’s Inauguration, and with the rise of the #MeToo movement against […]
- Barcelona chooses Linux, Apple’s Lisa OS goes open source, and more newsJanuary 20, 2018In this edition of our open source news roundup, we take a look at Barcelona booting Microsoft, […]
- Crime Is Down In American Cities, And ‘Uneasy Peace’ Explains WhyJanuary 20, 2018Contrary to what you might see on TV, homicide, assault and rapes have decreased in big cities […]
- How The Man In The Apartment Hit Big With ‘The Woman In The Window’January 20, 2018Take a pinch of Hitchcock, a bit of Gone Girl, stir in a mysterious author and you’ve got the […]
- Denis Johnson Leaves Us With His Best In ‘Largesse Of The Sea Maiden’January 20, 2018Denis Johnson finished his first story collection in 25 years just before he died. The pieces in it […]
- The Lost Landscapes of San Francisco: A Benefit for the Internet Archive — Monday, January 29January 20, 2018by Rick Prelinger Internet Archive presents the movie 12th annual Lost Landscapes of San Francisco […]
- Daniel Ellsberg Explains Why He Leaked The Pentagon PapersJanuary 19, 2018In 1971, Ellsberg leaked the Pentagon Papers to the press in the hope that they would help end the […]
Rants and Raves . . .
Select a Blog Category
What or Who is debwire?
It is a play on my first name and "newswire." The definition of newswire is (in old school terms):
a service transmitted especially by teletypewriter and providing late-breaking news stories, stock-market results, or other up-to-the-minute information:
We took the story off the newswires.
a teletypewriter or other machine by which such information is transmitted or received.
So, in a nutshell, this site is my own personal newswire. And who am I? Well, I am an aspiring author, a tech geek, news junkie, old school head, lover of jazz, straight talker. I love Merlot and cherries. That sort of sounds like an intro for an online dating site, doesn't it? I offer a better explanation here.